PhilanthroMeme (n): philanthropic ideas replicating, evolving, and adapting between cultures.
- Private initiatives for the public good.
- An idea that, like a gene, can replicate and evolve.
- A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to mutation, crossover and adaptation.
- A cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one generation to another by nongenetic means (as by imitation); “memes are the cultural counterpart of genes”.
- Coined by Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976)